Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Solid way for black to face the K´s Gambit? (Read 32861 times)
Markovich
God Member

Re: Solid way for black to face the K´s Gambit?
Reply #54 - 04/08/09 at 14:27:32
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 04/08/09 at 13:49:43:
Nope, the question is:

1) why you and several others keep saying more or less the same thing over and over in different threads. It's just your opinion, not the Truth. Even beginners are individuals and what fits one may cause some other to give up the game. There are strong grandmasters who grew up playing double fianchettos against everything as white.

Well, I just come here and say what I think, apropos of whatever seems to be the subject of any given thread - or at least of whatever is being said there.  I certainly do not claim to have the Truth, only a right to express my opinions here so long as I do so politely.  If you don't like what I have to say, or if you think I am repetitious, that is something I will have to accept.

Frankly though I am surprised that such a strong player and respected contributor here as yourself would react so negatively to the proposition that a strong and ambitious high school kid should not continue to specialize in the King's Gambit, after having played it exclusively from age 8.  I would have thought that was a very unremarkable assertion.

2) do other openings than the Ruy have the right to exist? - or will y'all keep nagging that 'expert opinion' says that the Spanish is better than the Vienna, KG, Scotch, Ponz, Two Knights etc etc ad nauseum?

Well, what I said was that expert opinion is that 2.Nf3 is a better move than 2.f4.  I believe that is a fair summary of the current state of chess theory.  I said it once; I don't think I have kept nagging about it.  But for whatever my amateur's opinion is worth, and I understand you are a better player than I am, whose judgement in chess matters I fully respect, I also think that 2.Nf3 is the best move after 1...e5.  I do not hold that 2.f4 is an outright bad move -- I said the opposite -- or that there is never good reason to play it in any given game.

There are pros and cons of every opening, and judging them by words like which is stronger, better, more ambitious, interesting etc will always have a measure of subjectivity.

Indeed.  That is why I attach my name to my remarks here.  

The rest of your post does battle against propositions that go far beyond anything I said, so I won't bother to reply further.

I put "The Great Oz has spoken!" in my signature as a self-parody, but I declare, some people are starting to think that I mean it.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #53 - 04/08/09 at 13:49:43
Post Tools
Markovich wrote on 04/07/09 at 19:57:33:
Easy does it with parody, dear chessfriend.  I know you're attached to this system.  But the fact is, if a young player has ambitions in chess, exclusive reliance upon the King's Gambit is probably not the best way to go about fulfilling them.  For one thing, a young person needs to learn how to play a wide variety of positions.  For another, the preponderance of expert opinion is that KG is not as strong as 2.Nf3.  That is the long and the short of it really.

Nope, the question is:

1) why you and several others keep saying more or less the same thing over and over in different threads. It's just your opinion, not the Truth. Even beginners are individuals and what fits one may cause some other to give up the game. There are strong grandmasters who grew up playing double fianchettos against everything as white.

2) do other openings than the Ruy have the right to exist? - or will y'all keep nagging that 'expert opinion' says that the Spanish is better than the Vienna, KG, Scotch, Ponz, Two Knights etc etc ad nauseum?

There are pros and cons of every opening, and judging them by words like which is stronger, better, more ambitious, interesting etc will always have a measure of subjectivity.

Diversity makes the game richer, if everyone always opened 1.Nf3 chess would be more boring for it. Even if one could make the claim that it may be the "strongest" first move in several senses.

And if several people took upon themselves to add to every thread on 1.e4, 1.e4 c5, 1.e4 e5 etc that 1.Nf3 is much more exact as it avoids the Sicilian where white has problems scoring more than 50%, I'm sure it would bore & annoy most of the people reading those threads.

3) What it boils down to: is Chess a Sport, an Art or a Science?

If it's a sport then people will choose the openings that will increase their chances in a given situation against a given opponent.

If it's an art then openings away from the well trodden popular paths will increase the chance to create something new.

Even for a machinelike 'scientist' the factor of allowing the opponent to prepare well into the middlegame, would matter - if he cares about his results. Would Fischer won i '72 if he'd started out playing what he was known for? I doubt it.

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #52 - 04/08/09 at 13:44:07
Post Tools
Dragonslayer wrote on 04/08/09 at 13:26:09:
How strange... You tell us you've observed TalJechin's post to be parody and then plows on with silly arguments that demonstrate the opposite.
Every statistic will tell you that 1.d4 scores better than 1.e4 so why play 1.e4?

I for one thought the parody to be hilarious.

The strength of chess moves cannot be decided by simple statements like "2.Nf3 is better than 2.f4". Chess moves are played in chess games with real opponents, real clocks etc.
If you want to discuss specifics, why certain variations are best suited for blitz or against defensive opponents that's another matter.
But I think we've had enough of the "opening x is unplayable because grandmaster y said so" hyperbole.
One is allowed to disagree which openings are a reasonable choice in any specific game, but if you want to make sweeping statements, then please present your evidence!

And rhetorical devices like "expert opinion" does not count!
(Let me help you a little bit here: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 0-0 8.c3 d5!= now tell me which variation after 2.f4 gives Black more than that!)

Thanks for your kind words.  But I did not say that statistics showed that 2.Nf3 was a better move than 2.f4.  I admit I did say that expert opinion says so, which is a fact.  I would also have said that I think so, but that was self-evident.  If you actually think that 2.f4 is as good a move as 2.Nf3 after 1...e5 well, we will have to disagree.

As for "opening x is unplayable because grandmaster y said so," you are thrashing at a straw man.  I said nothing of the kind, nor did anyone else here.

In any case, my point is not that 2.f4 is a bad move or that no one should ever play it, only that a high school junior rated 2190, and with signficant chess ambitions, should not specialize exclusively in this system.  If that is worthy of parody, then I will just have to accept it.

On the other hand, one could read these last few pages and conclude that there is a great deal of fanaticism and easily-aroused defensiveness among the partisans of 2.f4.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Dragonslayer

I love ChessPublishing
.com!

Reply #51 - 04/08/09 at 13:26:09
Post Tools
How strange... You tell us you've observed TalJechin's post to be parody and then plows on with silly arguments that demonstrate the opposite.
Every statistic will tell you that 1.d4 scores better than 1.e4 so why play 1.e4?

I for one thought the parody to be hilarious.

The strength of chess moves cannot be decided by simple statements like "2.Nf3 is better than 2.f4". Chess moves are played in chess games with real opponents, real clocks etc.
If you want to discuss specifics, why certain variations are best suited for blitz or against defensive opponents that's another matter.
But I think we've had enough of the "opening x is unplayable because grandmaster y said so" hyperbole.
One is allowed to disagree which openings are a reasonable choice in any specific game, but if you want to make sweeping statements, then please present your evidence!

And rhetorical devices like "expert opinion" does not count!
(Let me help you a little bit here: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 a6 4.Ba4 Nf6 5.0-0 Be7 6.Re1 b5 7.Bb3 0-0 8.c3 d5!= now tell me which variation after 2.f4 gives Black more than that!)

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #50 - 04/07/09 at 19:57:33
Post Tools
TalJechin wrote on 04/03/09 at 19:35:59:
A writing student of mine wanted to write a poem about some ducks in the pond in her backyard.

I of course told her: No, no, no!  I then explained to her that Hemingway is the greatest author ever, and if she wants to ever become a great writer she should not try to express her own personality, instead she should try to express the personality of the greatest writer ever, Hemingway's. Poetry these days doesn't sell well at all, while novels do sell, so choosing the novel genre instead was the first step...

Easy does it with parody, dear chessfriend.  I know you're attached to this system.  But the fact is, if a young player has ambitions in chess, exclusive reliance upon the King's Gambit is probably not the best way to go about fulfilling them.  For one thing, a young person needs to learn how to play a wide variety of positions.  For another, the preponderance of expert opinion is that KG is not as strong as 2.Nf3.  That is the long and the short of it really.

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #49 - 04/05/09 at 19:50:21
Post Tools
A few of us now have suggested the modern variation and I still think that's the best practical decision.  I know when I'm playing speed games (I haven't been playing any real chess lately.) the reply I hate to face is the Modern.  It's equal but in many of the lines Black is having more fun and generally I'd say the black pieces is easier to play.

IP Logged

theRomantic
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #48 - 04/05/09 at 15:01:30
Post Tools
Pingudon wrote on 03/23/09 at 23:54:35:
Hi friends. Please tell me a solid way to face the king´s gambit. BUT please I do not like to play 1.e4 e5 2. f4 ef4 3. Nf3 Bc5. Is any other solid way to face the king´s gambit? I am afraid of playing g5 with black!

To answer your question, what you want is, without a doubt, the Modern:

1. e4 e5  2. f4 d5  3. exd5 exf4

Playing 2... exf4  3.Nf3 g5 much below Expert level is ridiculous from a practical standpoint, unless you play(ed) the King's Gambit, or have a strong interest in studying it.  The "refutation" is a forced draw and to get there you have to have your lines down against the Allgaier, Bishops Gambit, 4.Bc4 and all the offbeat King's Gambit lines.  Very hard to justify that from a practical standpoint when such easy equality can be had on move 2.

I played the KG for a couple of years and I play g5 against it, at first because I knew why I quit, and now only because I want to improve my defensive/anti-gambit skills, and my results aren't so bad now.  But it was actually one of my worst lines as Black for a long time.  At my level that extra doubled f-pawn isn't much compensation for the initiative and center control.

IP Logged

flaviddude

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #47 - 04/05/09 at 10:08:15
Post Tools
ghenghisclown wrote on 04/04/09 at 20:19:16:
Smyslov_Fan wrote on 04/04/09 at 13:44:22:
T
I also implied that the critical test, like it or not, is accepting the gambit and playing ...g5.  I have been through the games of Shirov and others who played ...g5 and they made it seem fairly straight-forward.

I concluded by saying to read the comments of some of the great King's Gambit players who frequent the chess pub.

So, let me ask the question in a slightly different way:

A) Presuming that the denizens of this thread have the ability to look up how grandmasters play the opening, is Karpov's handling of the King's Gambit (Accepted) as reasonable as I suggested?

B) Isn't it White who has the most to fear when Black plays exf4 and g5?

I look forward to some chess content in this thread!

I have held for a long time that the Kieseritzy Gambit is a stern test of the King's Gambit.  Nevertheless the problems are for bot sides. I have played both sides in correspondence with interesting results. I must admit that three white opponents walked into the same error in Gallagher's book. This is already posted on other threads.

Yes, I agree with the other (RW & even MnB) on this post. Yes of course, a suggestion that one can look at Karpov's games is probably not a bad idea. On the other hand, studying how a GM handles a certain rare opening (at his level) that he hardly ever faces might not be the best method for somebody who has only a couple days to prepare. Limited time changes things.

I can understand your frustration though. Since you didn't start the thread, however, perhaps your frustration is not warranted.

I am hopelessly addicted to the King's Gambit

IP Logged

ghenghisclown
God Member

Pedicare Vestri Latin

Reply #46 - 04/04/09 at 20:19:16
Post Tools
This thread started out with a question about the best way to face the King's Gambit.  I suggested that accepting the gambit and  following the games of Karpov is an excellent way to find a "solid" path to a playable game.

I also implied that the critical test, like it or not, is accepting the gambit and playing ...g5.  I have been through the games of Shirov and others who played ...g5 and they made it seem fairly straight-forward.

I concluded by saying to read the comments of some of the great King's Gambit players who frequent the chess pub.

Since I wrote that, this thread has veered away from chessic content.  I saw that Taljechin, who is capable of some very good analysis, had joined the discussion and got excited to see his ideas. Instead he got into the muck that this thread has stirred up.

A) Presuming that the denizens of this thread have the ability to look up how grandmasters play the opening, is Karpov's handling of the King's Gambit (Accepted) as reasonable as I suggested?

Yes, I agree with the other (RW & even MnB) on this post. Yes of course, a suggestion that one can look at Karpov's games is probably not a bad idea. On the other hand, studying how a GM handles a certain rare opening (at his level) that he hardly ever faces might not be the best method for somebody who has only a couple days to prepare. Limited time changes things.

I can understand your frustration though. Since you didn't start the thread, however, perhaps your frustration is not warranted.

"Experience is a dim lamp, which only lights the one who bears it."

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #45 - 04/04/09 at 14:30:39
Post Tools
Roger Williamson wrote on 04/04/09 at 13:53:40:
Hoity toity.  

Yes, an unfortunate writing style and manner has dear SF. Usually makes it seem like our friend is addressing someone's slightly retarded dog.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #44 - 04/04/09 at 14:01:45
Post Tools

A) Karpov always plays reasonable, so the superficial answer is yes. Still I think him not the best example for Black in this special case. The only time he met the KG against a strong opponent he lost: Hamburg 1982.

B) Hard to answer with a clear yes or no. I agree that ...exf4 and ...g5 is critical - more than the Modern or ...Bc5 or the Euwe-Cunningham. But you know how things work. If White does not like meeting ...g5 (s)he won't play the KG at all, at least not with 3.Nf3 !

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Roger Williamson

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 04/04/09 at 13:53:40
Post Tools
Hoity toity.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
YaBB Moderator
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #42 - 04/04/09 at 13:44:22
Post Tools
This thread started out with a question about the best way to face the King's Gambit.  I suggested that accepting the gambit and  following the games of Karpov is an excellent way to find a "solid" path to a playable game.

Since I wrote that, this thread has veered away from chessic content.  I saw that Taljechin, who is capable of some very good analysis, had joined the discussion and got excited to see his ideas. Instead he got into the muck that this thread has stirred up.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #41 - 04/03/09 at 19:35:59
Post Tools
A writing student of mine wanted to write a poem about some ducks in the pond in her backyard.

I of course told her: No, no, no!  I then explained to her that Hemingway is the greatest author ever, and if she wants to ever become a great writer she should not try to express her own personality, instead she should try to express the personality of the greatest writer ever, Hemingway's. Poetry these days doesn't sell well at all, while novels do sell, so choosing the novel genre instead was the first step...

I then recommended writing a piece of about 100 000 words containing at least three bull fighting scenes and five scenes with an old man alone at sea and if she could find a way to combine these two themes - for example with bull fighting on a ship she could qualify for extra credit. My suggested title for this future epic story was The Sun Rises Again and Again. Strangely, I haven't heard from her since...  Undecided

Another (former) friend of mine wanted to make music inspired by Mozart. He claimed that Amadeus is the best composer ever in his (of course, uneducated) opinion and added that there are even studies that show that listening to his music actually make you smarter and more harmonic.

Naturally, I felt that it was my responsibility to save his musical career. So I pointed out to him that Mozart is both very old and very dead, and any musical ideas he could have had surely can't be worth water these days.

People today are so much more sophisticated and educated compared to those half-apes way back then. Today we have Computers and the Internet - if Mozart had been alive today he might have been able to use those to produce some excellent popular dance music, but he isn't so he won't. So, forget about him.

Instead - since the only reason to make music is naturally to make the biggest amount of money on it - I recommended that he'd listen to the best contemporary artist who has sold the most music. The best (richest) of the contemporary artists on the top ten lists is probably Madonna, so there is absolutely no need to listen to any of the other millions of artists who are not Madonna.

I then suggested that he'd marry and divorce a man called Ritchie, adopt a couple of children from Africa and get a breast implant. I felt that this was very good advice indeed, but that ungrateful *** didn't follow it one bit! Instead he chose to write and perform that outdated classical music - even though he will never be as rich or famous as Madonna. A highly illogical decision in my opinion.  Angry

I could go on all day, but I think you've got the hang of it now, and are ready to help other people around you with good advice on how to become the best actor, scientist or human ever.

Just try to figure out who the best actor/scientist/human etc is/was and then make ludicrous assumptions based on copying!  Grin

IP Logged

Markovich
God Member

Reply #40 - 04/03/09 at 12:28:19
Post Tools
Roger Williamson wrote on 04/02/09 at 22:48:34:
A sustained verbal assault on the reputation of the King's Gambit means that we hardly see it even at the 2200 level and below.  

Well my chessfriend and former student, who is a high school junior and rated 2190, has played the King's Gambit exclusively for years.  

I must admit that I've been on her case for at least the past two years, telling her that she needs to take up a more modern system.  I taught her the King's Gambit when she was in third grade, because I considered it a good system for her development at that stage, not because I wanted her to make a chess career out of it.

As a strong U.S. female she gets to travel internationally and play for the U.S., with the help of GM coaches who come besides.  I recall that Shabalov pooh-poohed her use of the King's Gambit, and there have been plenty of other adverse comments.  One U.S. IM of high school age actually told her that 2.f4 is poorly motivated, which is absurd.

What I say is, the King's Gambit is positionally well-founded and quite possibly sound, but it's not as good as 2.Nf3.  It certainly should not be the main weapon of a rapidly improving high school student of master or near-master strength.
« Last Edit: 04/03/09 at 16:59:56 by Markovich »  

The Great Oz has spoken!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo